Facilities Services: Emergencies, Operating Hours, Protocols, and COVID-19 Mitigation Efforts
Facilities Services strives to support the University in all aspects of its service delivery through innovative stewardship of campus assets and resources. Our facilities operations support is intended to ensure for safe, efficient unit operations and customer experience. Following is some important and useful operations information for your reference.
For emergencies involving life, safety, and/or property damage, please immediately contact the University Police Department Dispatch at (415) 338-7200.
The Customer Service Center operational schedule is as follows:
- Facilities Services continues to have an on-site presence with reduced staffing levels.
- The Customer Service Center provides services from Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. and Saturday to Sunday between 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Please note that after hours Facilities customer service center calls are automatically routed to the UPD dispatch center. The online service request process will be responded to following customary standard operating procedures.
- Facilities Trades staff continue to respond to essential service requests received from the SF State community (service requests that can wait-will).
COVID-19 Mitigation Protocol for In-Person Services
Maintaining the health and safety of our employees and customers is Facilities Services' top priority. Accordingly, please note the following protocols requested of our customers as part of safeguarding the health and safety of all.
- In order to best protect our customers and Facilities Services staff, masks/face coverings and 6 feel social distancing will be required before our maintenance team members will enter a unit/university space.
- For residential customers, please be out of your unit while any repairs are taking place. If this is not possible, please relocate to a separate enclosed space within the apartment until Facilities Services personnel have completed their work.
- Customers who are unable or unwilling to follow this protocol will not receive service at such time and will be rescheduled to a mutually agreed upon date and time.
Building Ventilation and Filtration & Cleaning Practices
Facilities Services has and continues to take steps to ensure the campus ventilation and filtration systems and cleaning practices provide appropriate COVID-19 risk mitigation. To learn more about how we are managing the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems in our buildings and cleaning practices in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit our FAQ page.
Associate Vice President of Facilities Services
Phone: (415) 405-3835
Frank Fasano currently serves as the associate vice president of Facilities Services. He brings 34 years of practical facilities management and engineering experience, including more than 20 years of progressively responsible leadership at UCSF in a full range of facilities management roles. Throughout his career, Fasano has led workflow process changes and integration of operations and technology programs (hardware and software) that dramatically increased productivity while enabling the achievement of resource efficiencies, thus improving customer service satisfaction. His engineering and building systems experience, which include a broad range of fire and life safety systems, have been instrumental in the development and adoption of facilities design standards specifications for campus construction and preventive maintenance programs.
Department Org Chart
Facilities Services (FS) is committed to supporting the University, ensuring for a quality environment in which to attract and retain top level students, staff and faculty. We are committed to ensuring the campus infrastructure meets the highest safety, aesthetic and sustainability standards in keeping with San Francisco State's culture, educational mission and student experience. It does so by creating, supporting and maintaining campus infrastructure, while providing customer-centric quality of services that are responsive and efficient.
To maintain facilities that attract and retain top level students, staff and faculty while providing excellent learning, living and working environments.
Every day, approximately 280 Facilities Services employees make their way to San Francisco State, in support of the University’s mission. Facilities Services is committed to providing high quality stewardship of the University’s academic campus, including 14 major academic and administrative buildings, quasi-auxiliary and auxiliary buildings, and University Housing.
Facilities Services' operational scope encompasses:
- 4.4 million gross square feet
- 144 acres of land at the main campus in southwest San Francisco
- 34 acres of land at the University’s Estuary & Ocean Science Center at Romberg Tiburon Campus along the shore of San Francisco Bay in Marin County
- The Downtown Campus on Market Street above the Westfield San Francisco Centre
- Other University-owned properties in or around San Francisco
Facilities Services is responsible for maintaining the University buildings and grounds, ensuring they meet high aesthetic and sustainability standards, in keeping with San Francisco State's overall culture and educational mission. Facilities Services provides smooth day-to-day operations of campus facilities and grounds as well as the Central Utilities Plant that provides all campus utilities — water and heat, electricity, and sewage services — to the academic campus. The division values safety, comfort and efficiency and strives to respond quickly to routine maintenance issues that arise, as well as to building-related or campus emergencies. The division is a major participant in San Francisco State's Emergency Preparedness planning, partnering with the University Police Department (UPD), Environment, Health & Safety (EHS), Parking & Transportation, and many other campus units as needed to respond to incidents and continue critical campus operations.
Facilities Services has seven functional areas that include:
- Facilities Operations - Campus
- Facilities Operations - Housing
- Custodial Services and Waste Management
- Customer Service Center
- Facilities Operations - Estuary & Ocean Science Center
- Business Unit (Human Resources and Finance)