The Lock Shop provides responsive services associated with the installation, repair and replacement of a variety of mechanical and electric door operating and locking hardware throughout the campus.
What We Do
Services include but are not limited to:
- Repairing and maintaining existing locks, panic hardware and door closures for the campus
- Changing out locks and providing new keys when security requirements demand changes to locking systems.
- Cutting keys for authorized customers
- Maintaining and installing local security alarms and key switches
- Installing door closers and doorstops
The unlocking of general public areas, such as classrooms and buildings, is the responsibility of the San Francisco State University Police Department (UPD).
How to Request Keys and Building Access Cards
The Facilities Services Customer Service Center (CSC) reviews and advances all requests for re-keying of locks, key cutting and key replacements, prior to submission to the Lock Shop.
- For key requests, please submit a signed and completed Key Request Form (PDF) to the Customer Service Center by emailing it to email@example.com or dropping it off in person to Corporation Yard 102.
- For building card access requests, please submit a signed and completed Key Request Form (PDF) to the Customer Service Center by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropping it off in person to Corporation Yard 102.
Pick Up of Key and Building Access Cards
- The CSC will notify customers once keys and/or building access cards are ready for pick up
- Only the requestor, key holder or designated approver can pick up requested keys from the CSC at Facilities Services located in Corporation Yard 102
- Valid SF State ID is required at the time of pick up. No other form of identification is accepted
- If the department would like to elect an alternate to pick up keys, there must be a signed memo authorizing the alternate to do so
Staff and Faculty Clearance
- Separating staff or faculty must return all keys and building access cards to the Facilities Services office, located in Corporation Yard 102, on or before their last day of work
- Loaning, lending or duplicating of keys is prohibited
- Lost/misplaced keys must be reported to the Facilities Services Customer Service Center immediately
- Persons in possession of unauthorized keys may be guilty of a misdemeanor as outlined in the California Penal Code Sec.469
Frequently Asked Questions - Campus Keys
Call the Facilities Services Customer Service Center at (415) 338-1568 or (415) 405-0579 to generate a work order for the locksmith to check the lock. To obtain a new key, contact the Customer Service Center to coordinate a return and obtain a replacement.
The old key has to be returned. In order to obtain the new key, a new key request form must be completed and authorized to receive a new key.
- Report the loss to the Facilities Services Customer Service Center (CSC) at (415) 338-1568 or (415) 405-0579
- An incident report must be filed with UPD prior to submitting a replacement request to Facilities Services
- If you need replacement keys, a new Key Request Form (PDF) with appropriate signatures must be submitted to the CSC through email (email@example.com) or in person drop off to Corporation Yard 102
Unfortunately, it is against University policy to issue duplicate keys to one individual. Too many keys invites security and safety risks. If your assistant needs a key, they will have to follow the normal procedure and have a key issued in their name.